Sparking Joy, Being Average

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about retirement. I’m not there yet, but slowly sliding into it. And what then, I ask myself?

I've been trying out new things. This past year and a half, this pandemic year, staying home has stretched me further. Take my painting endeavours - Please! (Sorry, bad joke). I post them on Instagram and very kind family, friends and strangers ‘like’ them.  They are embarrassingly amateur. But they bring me joy.


I’m reminded of that Marie Kondo book (The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up) and, yes, I did buy that book a few years ago. But that’s a story for another day. I’m talking here about sparking joy. So instead of tossing things out, I bought paints and brushes and a small easel and watched hours of You-Tube. You can learn just about anything on You-Tube: how to remove the hard-drive from your computer (did that); how to caulk a shower stall (didn’t do that; hired a handy-man instead); and how to paint.  There’s two opportunities for joy here: watching artists at their craft and then later trying to duplicate that. Both different results, both same joy.

So, I’m adding that to my post-retirement agenda: paint. Along with my usual list: travel, write, read, hike. But I don’t dare call myself an artist. That seems so presumptuous, an insult to ‘Real Artists’. When is it okay to call oneself an artist?

We keep asking ourselves and each other: Why not do the things that bring you joy, even if you’re no good at them? You know the saying ‘It’s the journey, not the destination’ and all those other feel-good sayings that rarely make me feel good. Only irritable. More and more things irritate me these days. (Some days I even irritate myself). Again, that’s a story for another day. 

What I’m saying here is: in a world where perfection is so sought after and prominently displayed, and everyone is told ‘You are AMAZING!!’  – dare I present just-your-average achievements? 

Comments

  1. Here is to just-average achievements ... not even achievements, but simply to showing up, to present a C+, an amateurish, painting or product, or heck even effort! A genuine orientation towards joy. I look forward to the "stories for another day!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, showing up , trying and not worrying about the results. I need to keep reminding myself of that

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of my favourite line from Annie Dillard: "how you spend your days is how you spend your life."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I so appreciate this post Pearl! I've been thinking about this issue myself - this year's classes are just about to begin and I'm talking to writers about their fears. The interesting thing is when there's a "product" at the end of our creative play, suddenly judgment seems invited in. Is it good? Bad? Is it "worthy"? I love the way you tied the idea of doing something that sparks joy into this. What if the zen of creative flow was enough? The pleasure of "being with" the creative act and being in a constant state of wonder at the coming into being of something that didn't exist before? And if it's "good" or "worthy" in the end, that's just a bonus? This post also made me think about Tibetan sand paintings. Anyway, clearly your blog post has sparked a lot of mental engagement on my part!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm going to have to look up Tibetan sand paintings!

      Delete
  5. For the record, Pearl, altho i cannot say much on this subject the only thing i do know about these
    Tibetan Sand paintings is simply that they are (Mandalas)....or huge or small circles of designs that are created for only a temporary period.....think of children or folks building their sand castles near the sea shore, where eventually the tides wash them away.....C'est la vie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the fog in morning forest area....powerful, and truly mature like....yes quite a scene
    this art piece de presence....amazing...i am waiting for more....what's next....where, when how soon,,,,hmmmmm....just asking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nature has her own answers.....so keep painting....thanks for the inspiration.....roger moore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking the self criticism and judgement out of expression, with colours, sounds or words, allows us to experience the joy. When we get more skills, of course we get joy from doing something really well. Paradox I guess. Thanks for opening that subject.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment