Happy Accidents

 

“Every day’s a good day when you paint.” —Bob Ross (1942–1995)

Yesterday while searching around on You-Tube for painting tutorials, I stumbled across Bob Ross. I knew about him, vaguely, as an American painter who taught painting on PBS for years. I’d never watched the show (The Joy of Painting), as I had no interest in painting then.

But now, as I watched one You-Tube tutorial after another, I was mesmerized by his soft voice and gentle encouragement, as if he was speaking directly to you, telling you that no matter how much of a beginner you were, you could do it, make something beautiful. 

I was so curious about this man that I googled him, discovering that he has a huge following, even today. His paintings are mostly about nature (mountains, lakes, forests, Northern Lights) and he never claimed to be a fine museum-worthy artist. He simply painted for the joy of it. In his military career, tired of being barked at, he vowed never to raise his voice. If you watch his videos, you too will be lulled by the soft, melodious pitch of the bushy-bearded man. Bob Ross has a new fan.

Mountain Lake - inspired by Bob Ross

I only started painting early this year. Before that, I believed I had neither the time nor the talent for such artistic pursuits. So I believed. So I was told. In school, I dropped art as soon as I could. I was not the ‘creative type’. I was the logical, brainy one, scoring high in mathematics and science. (In fact I scored high in pretty much everything, except Art - “Tries Hard"!!). Yes, I was your typical run-of-the-mill, top-of-the-class kind of smart kid. 

But as we all know, being top of the class means very little later in life, with how you might actually live your life. Some are brainy, some are creative, some are smart in a myriad of ways. Although, of course, high marks open doors (as they did for me, getting me into co-op work terms and a scholarship for a semester’s worth of tuition). But all those dusty certificates remain buried in a box somewhere.

However, what I’m saying in this long ramble is that the subject that least held my interest in school, the one thing I thought I was terrible at, is now the source of great joy and pleasure. I can spend hours at the easel, music in the background. At the end, what emerges is another little creation. Not perfect, certainly not fine art, maybe even ‘happy little accidents’, to quote Bob Ross. 

Isn’t it funny how we find these unexpected joys later in life, coming from places we previously avoided? Perhaps it’s part of being curious, being willing to explore, being willing to churn out a load of crap (umm, happy accidents), simply because the process itself is so enjoyable.

So, as I enter a new pre-retirement phase of life in 2022 (3 days work/4 days off), I have a new creative pastime. Along with my old pastimes (reading, writing, walking, tennis). And hopefully sometime soon in the future, travelling and hiking will once again be added back to that list. And then, maybe the list will grow. Or change. There’s also learning a new language, which I’ve been doing daily on my phone for the past two years and have yet to be able to master a simple conversation in Spanish. 

I’m not sure what to expect in 2022. None of us do. I don’t make resolutions or set lofty goals for myself. What I can do is keep on going with an open, curious mind.

What else did they tell me I was terrible at in school? Oh yes – sewing. No, that’s never going to happen.


Comments

  1. Oh what a delightful post and so well put. I remember Bob Ross so well and never knew his background -- thank you for sharing that with us.
    I think the best part is that painting brings you joy. The perfect reason for it to be a permanent part of your life. All the best of everything in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! The last paragraph!! This is great. I think your paintings are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment