What Do Libraries Mean To You?

 

Words, stories, books that transport us to unfamiliar worlds. All these you can find in abundance at your local library.



The librarians at my own local library are always friendly and helpful, either in person or over the phone. One day during partial lockdowns, when we were picking up our books in the library vestibule at slotted times, I arrived about twenty minutes early. Standing there, patiently waiting for my appointed time, I watched as the librarian came out with packages of books in brown paper bags to set out on the table for pick up.

“Are yours in here?” she asked. “I can check.”

“Oh, it’s okay. I’m actually a bit early for my time slot.”

No worries. She took my name, went inside and returned with my book pick-up. How’s that for service?

Another time, while picking up a book, I mentioned to the librarian that I’d just then received an email that another hold was available for pick-up.

Again, not a problem. She found it and added it to my pile.

I cannot say enough about how much I love libraries and librarians. People often don’t know that libraries in Canada buy their books and through a Public Lending Rights program, compensate Canadian authors annually for the rights to free access to their books in libraries. Although the royalties may only be a pittance.

The Oakville library no longer charges overdue fees, and this program of eliminating fees is being expanded to all libraries in this country. There is a website where you can check fine-free libraries. When one of my books becomes overdue, the OPL (Oakville Public Library) often automatically renews it. You are allowed to have no more than two overdue books if you want to check more out. Fair enough. The elimination of overdue fees makes the library more accessible to those on limited incomes.

But the thing that sometimes niggles at me is how such frequent use of libraries might be denying income to authors. If many of us are borrowing books, then we are not buying them. Are libraries competing with booksellers? I’m not concerned about the big chains, or that online giant, but about the small, independent bookstores.

Libraries do perform important community functions. When I was a mother with a young toddler, the local library had various programs for moms and tots that my daughter and I often frequented. Libraries promote literacy, have classes and programs, internet access, printers, and ways of integrating newcomers into the neighbourhood.  In an indirect way, I am paying for my library usage through my property taxes, but is that enough? I’ve loved libraries ever since I got my first library card in Canada, and I do not see this relationship diminishing.

But the question remains – is the abundance of all this free reading material hurting authors?


Comments