A Community of Crones

 

The other day I met someone, in person, for the first time after knowing her online for about three years. We’d initially met in an online group of writing during the early COVID years, and then, once the course ended, a few of the women branched out and we formed our own small circle, chatting online once a month about all the various topics women talk about.

S (who lives in Calgary) was here in Oakville visiting family and friends, and we got together for a meal at a restaurant. I asked the waitress to take our picture and told her we were seeing each other in person for the first time, after meeting online. “And is she as good-looking as you thought she was?” the waitress asked. I thought it was an odd question (we were obviously both good-looking women), but I played along. “Even better,” I said. A few moments later, it struck me: the waitress thought we were a romantic duo on a date! S and I laughed and laughed and then talked some more.

When one says, ‘we met online’, people immediately think - dating apps. But there is so much more to online connections. We’re older women whose online connections run to creating strong networks and relationships between women who encourage and support each other, delight in each other’s company, conversations, reflections. But when a woman says ‘we met online’, people don’t think: in a writing group, a reading group, a women’s conversation group. Society is geared towards thinking – if they’re single women and they’re online, well then, they must be looking for a romantic partner!

But we’re not. We’re finding and creating a community. A community of crones if you will. The word ‘crone’ was once negatively associated with old wizened hags who live alone, but just as cat lady is having a resurrection, the word ‘crone’ is as well.

From Wikipedia: crone is also defined as a "woman who is venerated for experience, judgment, and wisdom”. 

And from The WordCounter: “The crone is now seen as a symbol of feminine wisdom, resilience, and the transformative power of aging. She represents the integration of all aspects of the feminine experience, from the innocence of the maiden to the nurturing power of the mother. The crone reminds us that beauty exists in all stages of life, and that aging is a natural and transformative process.”

S and I tucked into our meal and laughed and talked, and then we talked and laughed some more.

 

Comments

  1. I always learn something new from you Pearl. I will never think of the word crones thes same. Wish I could have joined you. Even though your in person meet was not a romantic meeting, you two had a better time than any blind date I ever experienced! Sorry I couldn’t join you. There’s always a next time ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm laughing all over again at our restaurant experience! Thank you for your hospitality, Pearl! Truly a wonderful, memorable experience and I look forward to more in future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More in the future for sure! It was so good to see you in person!

      Delete
  3. Crone it is and who knew you don't like happy faces! Hearts it shall be - but wait, that might make it a dating app. Pearl I never dreamed people would think meeting on line would translate to a romantic meeting. Maybe that explains how difficult it is to book twin beds while traveling in Europe. I was amazed. So glad you two met; you both look like you are having such a great time. Sorry E. was so sick and sorry I live where I do and traveling to To. is a major challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I'm sure we will meet in person one day too! Twin beds difficulties? Yes, the default assumption always is 'couples'.

      Delete
    2. How incredibly amazing!

      Delete

Post a Comment