The Latest Shiny Object

I have a tolerate/hate relationship with Amazon. In the past 20 months, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve ordered something from the retail monster.  It’s been mainly art supplies, when stores carrying non-essential items were closed. Something about the guarantee of next day delivery bothers me. Who desperately needs or wants something from Amazon the very next day? I know I don’t. And what’s the human and environmental cost of all this frantic handling and packaging and dispatching?

This week I received a parcel I had ordered from the GAP: a new sweater and sweatpants in a soft greyish-black. 


This was unusual for me (I never order clothes online). In-person clothes shopping is also at the very bottom of my list of fun things to do. I’m one of those women who detests shopping. And the endless choices available often paralyze any decision-making. During the pandemic, I can’t think of anything new that I bought for myself or my home, apart from consumables: groceries, toiletries, art supplies. And, of course, wine. (Btw, books are consumables too, along with notebooks and tennis balls).


But a lot of the clothes in my closet are, like my car, over 10 years old. And I think, during the pandemic stay-at-home months, I’ve worn only six pieces of clothing over and over in an endless loop. It’s time for some new comfy-cozies.


Two new articles of clothing called for some closet culling. I live in a condo and storage space must be expertly managed. Onto the bed went a pile for the donation bin:  skirts, pants, sweaters and blouses that haven’t seen the light of day in several years. There’s a lot more that could join this heap, but somehow I’m reluctant to let go of things I ‘maybe might wear again one day.’ 



Which brings me to this: Why do we hold on to possessions ‘just in case’? And just how much ‘stuff’ do we really need? There was a time when it was considered fashionable to discard items and replace them at the first sign of wear. It was a status thing; a way to showcase your affluence. Maybe it still is. Couch looking a bit worn? Toss it and buy a new one. Towels a little faded? Plenty of plush ones available at Bed, Bath and Beyond. 


There’s no doubt that there’s pleasure to be had in new, pretty things. But it’s only a short while before everything new starts looking old again. And the search begins once more for the next shiny object.

 

Comments