Keep On Creating

 

This line from Transaction With Beauty’s blog post has stayed with me: “we’re not helping anyone by ceasing to create beauty.”

And along with that line, I’ve been thinking about something I read somewhere, about spending one’s time ‘creating’ versus ‘recreating’ i.e. simply passing time with entertaining ourselves.

The famous quote from Annie Dillard is: “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.”

I spend my fair share of time ‘recreating’, on the couch, watching Netflix. And sometimes, that is just what the body and mind needs, an escape, a time-out, a quiet period of recuperation, especially in the last three weeks with my lingering Covid effects of fatigue, coughing and odd head sensations.

But I know that I’m much happier and more fulfilled when I spend my time creating – painting, writing, blogging, trying to form sentences in Spanish, attempting to craft poetry. 

Creating can take many forms, but the important thing is – the outcome doesn’t matter. It doesn’t have to be polished or picture-perfect or Instagrammable. I believe that we must not engage in creating or producing only that which we are accomplished at; that which we are confident will produce good results. 

If I were to spend my time doing only what I’m good at, my days would end early. (Indeed, many of them do, in bed with a book).

What I’m getting at is – creating, exploring with curiosity, learning from the masters at their craft, experimenting and painting over – this is how I want to spend my days. And for that I have to thank the many people out there who are unaware how they influence me and contribute to my creativity. 

A friend once said to me, in a disdainful tone, that Instagram was just people marketing themselves. And that may be true in many cases – marketing, posturing, preening. But what’s wrong with artists and writers showcasing their talent? How else can I discover them? When I find them, the decision is mine if I want to follow and know more about them. 

I’ve realized that this is the true value of social media and a blogger’s world – this engaging in a community of like-minded people, this sharing of thoughts and our attempts in designing our lives. 

What has inspired me:

- Book reviewers and Bookstagrammers. I have enormous admiration for these people who take the time to write thoughtful reviews of plot, character and why they liked a particular book. Through them I’ve found new authors to read, new books to devour or put on my TBR list

- Artists who share their work and techniques on Instagram and You-Tube. I follow along, learning how to paint fluffy clouds, or dark stormy ones, trees in winter or fall, reflections in water, shadows.

- There’s a woman on Instagram who posts a daily picture along with a Haiku. There’s a woman I’ve connected with in BC through zoom and email who, despite serious health issues, writes poetry and long newsy emails and expresses keen interest in my amateur art.

- Bloggers and writers of course have a special place in my heart. 

This painting of mine was inspired by the very talented Huan Chen
Huan Chen's Art

Creating versus ‘Recreating’. When we cease to create, what happens? When we only consume or pass the time by keeping busy or entertaining ourselves, what happens to us as a society?

Reflections 

I've watched many "ColorByFeliks' and other You-Tube Tutorials 

Keep on creating. No matter the outcome, it all matters. In some small way, even though you may not know it, you are influencing someone else’s creativity. 

For that, I thank you.

And, of course, a poem:

Notes To Self

What do you wish to honour, is it doubt

Or your desire, that need to create?

Let the words flow, let them all tumble out

Now is not the season to hesitate.

They may never come knocking on your door

Your name won’t be whispered with reverence

But that is not what you are trying for

In your small corner of words and silence.

Your words—they won’t measure up to Atwood

And if even one word does, by pure chance

Don’t let them convince you that they all should

That’s not the goal of your creative dance.

                Now is the season, it’s never too late

                Your heart whispers—create, create, create.


                                                    Pearl Richard


Comments

  1. Hi Pearl, I wanted to circle back to this post and how much I appreciated the call to create and the invitation to seek out the possibilities of creation versus re-creation. I love this and I delight in getting to read your poetry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment