Buy Less, Live More

 

I have just finished reading ‘This one wild and precious life’ by Sarah Wilson, which I wrote about in my post Connection-Lite a couple of weeks ago. I read it slowly, in bits and pieces, because it is such a thought-provoking book and I expect I will refer to it again in this blog at some point.



Wilson is all about buying less and living more (#buylesslivemore). In our western culture of more, more, more, she encourages us to become more conscious consumers and re-use and re-purpose everything. Yes, even those old T-shirts that get grubby under the arms. She lops off the sleeves and makes deep-cut tank tops.

In 2023, I aim to be less of a consumer. There, I’ve put my intention out there, to voice it into action and to hold myself accountable. But how? I began to examine all the ways I consume, starting with: how much did I spend on new articles of clothing this year? Wilson says the fashion industry is a huge emitter of carbon emissions, bigger than airline and shipping combined.

I went to my credit card spend report which neatly buckets everything into categories, and since I put everything on my credit card, this would give me a good idea. I already know I hardly ever buy new clothes (hate shopping, both online and in person). Most of my clothes are many years old. Grand total I spent this year: $209.31 Okay, not bad. This would not include personal items like socks or underwear from department stores.

But more than adding up expenses, the idea is to make more conscious choices, on everything. We can’t delude ourselves into thinking that if we send off our discards to the donation bin, then it somehow absolves us. A very small number of those donations make it to someone else; the rest ends up in landfill.


For hikers, there is a code to leave no trace behind. How does that translate to our everyday lives? It’s impossible to leave no trace, but it is possible to be more careful and deliberate about what we consume and why; to question our purchases. Why do we need so much stuff? Are we buying ourselves into a feeling? I’ve been on a minimalizing mission for a few years, and other than groceries, toiletries and art supplies, I try not to bring more new ‘stuff’ into my space. When my daughter asks me what I would like for Christmas or birthdays, my answer is always the same: Journal, fat pens, tennis balls. Sometimes I will add: gym socks or incense sticks.

But what about other areas of consuming? I do own and drive a car, fueled by gas, albeit my 12-year-old car has less than 100,000 kilometres on it.

And I do like to travel.

Here’s the thing about travel: It broadens one’s perspective and understanding of other cultures and ways of life, increasing our connection with those who speak different languages; it makes us more tolerant and more curious; it makes us want to try harder to bridge gaps; it puts us in places of awe. Closer to home, once we return, we can better appreciate those who immigrate without knowing the language of their new home, and yet have to make a new life, navigating complex rules and regulations. Yes, I am aware that I am trying to justify travel to myself, although even while travelling we can make conscious choices.

So, I am putting this out there for 2023 - for me to be more conscious and deliberate of what and how I consume. Care to join me?

*

Those of you who have followed along on this blog for a while (thank you!), may remember that I went through a brief phase of writing sonnets. This month, I thought – why not haiku?

A stack spews black smoke
Frozen in the winter air
Our planet asks why.





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Pearl, I just put that book on hold and love to discuss it when I am finished. I also have been on a similar path, selling (for minimum cost) items I no longer need or want to keep them out of the landfill and following the old saying of one man’s treasure is another’s garbage. I can’t join you in the clothing area, I love clothes- always have and think I always will. I also believe in travel for all the reasons you mentioned and more. I don’t think you were talking yourself into anything, I believe for you travel is like breathing. As I write this I have a small box sitting outside my front door waiting for the new owner to ‘porch pick up,’ a win-win. Moving into 2023, I aim to be more aware of my purchases-oh, except for wine and chocolate 🍫.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Anonymous, although I'm pretty sure I know you. I'm not advocating denying ourselves beauty and pleasure. Life is meant to be enjoyed and yes to wine and chocolate! And yes to lovely clothes too. I'm only saying I am going to try and be more conscious of purchases, questioning the why behind it, the reasons for buying, and being conscious of what ends up in our landfill. Small win-wins are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more...online shopping is a big culprit of how consumerism has spiraled out of control. We try to give consumable gifts as much as possible... so keeping with the wine & chocolates theme in the comments : ))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that you've addressed this and hope some will take it to heart. For many years I've been a real minimalist. In fact, when we downsized several years ago, we actually had a huge estate sale before moving. We sold practically everything other than the true essentials (just enough furniture for the smaller house, only the kitchen & bathroom needs that DO get used). We also finally let go of boxes upon boxes of things we've been carting around, much of it stuff from each of our mom's after they died. It all went. You wouldn't believe how freeing that felt! And we've kept to our ways. People can't understand why I don't want to go shopping. What on earth could I buy? I don't need anything. We buy consumables of course, but we have more than we need. North Americans are too hung up on stuff. A great message -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Diane. Agreed, we North Americans are much too hung up on stuff, we use it like therapy. In fact 'retail therapy' has, strangely enough, become an accepted buzz word. I'd much rather spend my hard-earned money on experiences than stuff.

      Delete

Post a Comment